The European Federation for Medical Informatics Association (EFMI) is the leading organisation in medical informatics in Europe and represents 32 countries. EFMI is organised as a non-profit organisation concerned with the theory and practice
of Information Science and Technology within Health and Health Science in a European context.
The objectives, when founded in 1976, were:
• To advance international co-operation and dissemination of information in medical informatics on a European basis
• To promote high standards in the application of medical informatics
• To promote research and development in medical informatics
• To encourage high standards in education in medical informatics
• To function as the autonomous European Regional Council of IMIA